Thursday, May 1, 2008

Middlesex: Finale

I finished Middlesex this week. The book was very engaging. As I previously stated, the language was rather beautiful and descriptive, but not so overdone that you're like, "C'mon already, get to the dialogue," like some books can be. I enjoyed reading about the family over the generations - it was an interesting way to tell the story.

Now, the ending. Particularly the last 50 pages. A little bit of a disappointment. I won't go into great detail, and I don't know what I was really expecting or hoping for, but those last pages just didn't do it for me. It seemed overdone. It felt like the author took it one or two steps too far. It was too dramatic. Again, I know it's fiction, but part of me thought it really could've been a true story. Until the end.

Despite this, the final five pages redeemed the previous 45, and I closed the book satisfied. So, check it out.

For those who've read it - do you agree about the ending, or am I off track?

1 comment:

willikat said...

I read it a long time ago-at least it feels like a long time ago--but I remember feeling a little let down at the very end, too. i think it's because it's SO REAL, but it has to come to some ending....same with stephen king books. i know they aren't on the same par, but the characters feel so real that when it ends, you're mad because, well, it's not the end of the story.