Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Summer Reads

I read this article on CNN. It features different authors, such as Augusten Burroughs and Jodi Picoult, naming their favorite books to read over the summer. With lazy days of boating, patio sitting or cabin going, books are a great way to pass the time and relax during the warmer months.

As for me, I've picked up several different types of books in the summer time, everything from The Great Gatsby and Pride and Prejudice to The Kite Runner and Harry Potter. Here are some others I've enjoyed or read over and over during the summer:

Summer Sisters, by Judy Blume: Surprising news brings two old friends back together, reliving their times as kids, and rediscovering their friendship as adults. Blume covers the same issues as she does in her teen books, but at a much more adult level.

The Last Summer, of You and Me: Ann Brashares' first adult novel after her Traveling Pants series. Alice and Riley are sisters who travel to their family's summer home each summer. Paul is their next door neighbor and close friend. The book follows the crew during a summer where many changes take place. I loved this story.

Best Friends, by Martha Moody: This was an impulse Target purchase (I can't resist the books!) that turned out to be worth it. This story also follows two old friends from their introduction in college throughout their adult lives. The women are very different, yet can find connections at any point in their lives no matter where they are in physical distance.

Welcome to My Planet, Where English is Sometimes Spoken: My favorite novel of all time. I read it over again every couple of years. See here for my take.

I'm sure there are many others if I took the time to think about it. How about you? What are your favorite summer reads?

No comments: