Friday, May 16, 2008

Change of Heart, The End

I finished Change of Heart last night. I was right about the ending, which is disappointing. I was still holding out hope that Picoult would surprise me in the end. However, the way she wrapped things up in a pretty little bow, well, I still have questions. I won't go into detail so I don't spoil it for anyone who wants to read the book, but I think there could've been a bit more detail in the epilogue. After the way things played out, I think there should've been a bit more of an aftermath.

Would I recommend it? If you don't already read Picoult's books, then no. I would suggest reading My Sister's Keeper first. If you're already a faithful reader, then it's hard not to read her latest books. This I know. Plus, as with any author I like, I always want to find out for myself if I agree with the reviews I read. And, I usually don't.

Like I said in my previous post, I did appreciate the discussions of capital punishment and religion. Some of the characters would go on these long rants about one view or the other, and it got me thinking: Do you ever think the views expressed by characters in fiction actually reflect how the author feels in real life? One protagonist openly detests capital punishment, while a few others question organized religion. It makes me wonder if Picoult has these feelings as well, or if she's just able to write from different points of view.

1 comment:

kristine said...

So glad I just came across this blog on the best of blogs - was actually just looking at the travel/leisure but clicked on this and love it! I'll be back.

Incidentally - interesting what you say about J Picault's books. i have read several of them, and enjoyed them, but I feel the more I read the more they were all essentially the same, and quite formulaic...the same woman with the same relationships, just a different name and a different 'ethical dilemma'....do you know what I mean?