Wednesday, April 1, 2009

One Year Ago, April 2008

Happy April! April is a big month for our household. We moved into our new home one year ago on Saturday; we were married three years ago on the 8th. It's most likely (though not going by today) the start of spring, which we love. I've just started a new book, so I'm not ready to post about it yet. So, I'm going to steal from Bending Bookshelf, and make mention of what I was reading one year ago this month.

The Year of Living Biblically: One Man's Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible

A.J. Jacobs is a very funny man. He writes side-splitting pieces for Esquire and has brought his humor to readers with books The Know It All and The Year of Living Biblically. I remember this book fondly. His growing of a beard, driving his wife insane with his new rules, trying to figure out how "Thou Shall Not Lie" works when you have a toddler. Hilarious stuff - plus you learn a little something, too.

Middlesex

Middlesex is a book that sticks with you, which is why I called it The One that Still Has Me Thinking in my year-end countdown in December. The book was beautifully written, though sometimes hard to read. It was a quick read, yet so very descriptive. The story was heartwarming, yet heartbreaking. And it left me wondering, "Did I like it? Yeah, I liked it. But, how much did I like it? I think I liked it a lot." I'm still asking myself those questions a year later.

Think back. What were you reading last spring?

4 comments:

CMS said...

I can't remember what I read a year ago (shoot, I can't even remember what I read last month), but I wanted to wish you & J a VERY happy one-year anniversary in your (awesome) home & an early happy wedding anniversary! I still remember how nice the weather was on your big day. Kind of hard to think about sunshine and spring breezes when it's SNOWING outside right now!!

Em said...

Happy Anniversary! I know what you mean about the weather, we had a blizzard last week.

A year ago I was reading: Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky, Espresso Tales by Alexander McCall Smith, and Persuasion by Jane Austen.

A. said...

CMS: Thanks! We did have a lovely day on April 8 three years ago. 55 and sunny. We lucked out.

Em: I'm guessing you used your GoodReads to remember what books you were reading last year? :) Did you enjoy those books?

Em said...

Yes, I used my GoodReads. :) No way I would have remembered otherwise!

I really enjoyed Suite Francaise. It is amazing, especially because it was put together from the author's journals after she was killed in a concentration camp. Terrible!