Thursday, August 7, 2008

Plagiarism

My bff sent me this article from Slate.com. One of the magazine's reporters discovered by happenstance that one of her articles was copied nearly verbatim in a Texas alt-weekly. After a little more Googling and research, she discovered this is pretty much the way they do things at this newspaper.

Unbelievable. My co-worker and I were just talking about it and we think this happens a lot more than we realize, especially now that people - anyone with a computer - can publish online. Why did this reporter even bother to change a few words here and there? Why go to the trouble? Just steal full out, then. It's just pure laziness. And maybe jealousy, as Slate's writer has an obvious way with words. Hey Bulletin: It's called ethics. Get some.

Thoughts?

1 comment:

CMS said...

Kind of reminds me of the movie "Shattered Glass" (as far as unethical journalism, although Stephen Glass chose to take the lazy route of making up sources and stories rather than lifting them from someone else). Mark Williams was (is?) shameless about copying and pasting the words of other (legitimate) writers. I hope he gets more than just a slap on the wrist.