Monday, August 4, 2008

Breaking Dawn

I wasn't sure I'd have the time to buy and read Breaking Dawn this weekend, but I couldn't put it down. And I couldn't go to bed last night until I finished it. Trying to get through today waiting to finish it tonight just didn't seem bearable. :)

This was a great final book to the series. I read last week that Meyer thought about putting a warning on the book, because it was a bit more adult than the other three. And that's the truth. Much more gory, much more sexy - and very good. The book held some surprises for me, most definitely, which I'm always happy about. Meyer also detoured a bit; the middle section of the book was narrated by Bella's bff Jacob, instead of by Bella. When I got to this part, I was a little disappointed (I stand firmly on Team Edward), but in the end I thought it was a great storytelling technique, particularly for that section of the book. Jacob is the funny sidekick who can lighten any mood, so him as narrator just worked.

Danger and secrets were around every corner of the book, which made it that much more suspenseful. The reader gets to meet many more vampires from around the world, many with special powers of their own (Edward can read people's minds; Alice can see the future, etc.). I really enjoyed meeting these new characters as they gathered in Forks for a very important reason. The book ended perfectly, in my eyes, tying up loose ends and truly providing a happily after after conclusion. I'm extremely glad I gave these books a try this summer; it's been a very entertaining two weeks.

UPDATE (same day): I just listened to a brief interview with Meyer on B&N. She talks about her inspirations for each book and other stories these books circle around. Twilight: Pride & Prejudice; New Moon: Romeo & Juliet; Eclipse: Wuthering Heights; and Breaking Dawn: A Midsummer Night's Dream and one more book she wouldn't mention, afraid to give something away. OK, Twilight saga readers, what do you think it is? I'm not sure...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I finally finished it! I really liked it. I am with you on the Jacob narration, even though I really like Jacob. This book was definitely more adult, and I had some mixed feelings about certain things, but I ended up thinking it was a great conclusion to the series.

Alea said...

I really liked meeting all the new characters too. I was hoping for more from the confrontation at the end though. That just fizzled right out! I love that you are a fellow Minnesotan! I work in Minneapolis too, but not downtown.

Sarah said...

Okay, I'm finally done. I drew it out as much as possible but it's over. It definitely was more sexy and more gory. I wonder how they'll translate that birth scene into a movie? Overall, I was pleased and it exceeded my pessemistic expectations.

However, I was devastated to read on her website, the day after I finished, that she put Midnight Sun on hold indefinitely. I am so disappointed.

Sarah said...

Oh and she just posted on the website that the other influence was Merchant of Venice.

A. said...

Really. I thought FOR SURE the other influence was Rosemary's Baby, for obvious reasons...