Monday, July 21, 2008

Twilight

The cover story of my Entertainment Weekly a few weeks ago was about Stephenie Meyer, creator of the Twilight series. Being a pop culture nut and a reader, I'd obviously heard of these books, but I didn't know much beyond their existence until I read the story in EW. The story lines intrigued me, and learning Meyer's story also interested me. She published Twilight, the first book in the series of four, when she was 29 years old. I mentioned to the hubby that I might want to read these books. I searched the libraries and, with the highly anticipated fourth and final book about to hit shelves, all of Meyer's books were out. Thursday he made a stop at the bookstore and brought home the first two books for me.

I was in the middle of another book, but I couldn't wait to start. I picked up Twilight yesterday morning and consumed nearly the whole thing. I have about 100 pages left, and it's almost killing me to have to wait until tonight to finish it.

These books are meant for teenagers, but like Harry Potter and the Traveling Pants series, that's not stopping me from enjoying what is some really talented writing and imaginative, fanciful storytelling. Bella is a junior in high school who moves to a new town in northern Washington. She meets Edward, a beautiful creature, who has a pull on her she can't escape. One little problem: Edward is a vampire. This first book mostly describes their courtship - it's not that easy, for obvious reasons - but there's plenty of action to come. I can feel it.

2 comments:

Tasha said...

I read Twilight and New Moon, but stopped reading half way through Eclipse. I didn't like any of the characters, but I'll admit they are fun and addicting books.

A. said...

Charley,

Did you not like the characters from the beginning of the series? Or, are you talking about new characters introduced in Eclipse? Just curious what I'm in for. :)