Thursday, July 24, 2008

New Moon

I started New Moon, the sequel to Twilight, on Tuesday. I’m nearly finished. I love when I read books I can’t put down. Plenty of books are good and fun to read, but it seems rare that a book keeps you thinking about it and wishing you were reading it when you weren’t (or can’t because you’re driving, eating or working). I don’t feel this way about the Stephenie Meyer books because they’re so intriguing necessarily, but because they’re so fun.

I didn’t know what to expect from New Moon, but I figured it would be similar to Twilight. Bella and Edward’s romance will grow, something life-threatening having to do with mythical creatures will happen and they’ll fight for their love. All the basics of a good romance. Well, so far the book hasn’t turned out quite that way; it took a different turn. I was surprised at first, but soon I figured out what was going on and I predicted exactly what was going to happen. However, this didn’t bum me out like it might with other books. I actually was glad Meyer took the story a different way for the second book. Usually that’s something you wait a few more books for when you’re writing a series. (J.K. Rowling waited until Goblet of Fire to really heat things up.)

New Moon takes Bella through all sorts of emotions: heartbrokenness, depression, risk-taking behavior, new love, relief, sadness. Poor girl - I had to feel for her. Granted, normal teenaged girls don’t fall in love with vampires and experience near death on a regular basis, but you can’t disagree that they do go through every single one of the emotions above. That’s why I think these books are so popular. Meyer speaks to all the issues teenagers (boys get their fair share in here, too) go through, just in a different way.

I apologize if my obsessive consumption of these books is boring to read about – especially if I continue to read them all in a row – but I’m sure it’ll be out of my system soon enough.

So, what books have you read that you just couldn't put down? (I've been trying to think of some besides Harry Potter. I'll let you know what I come up with.)

1 comment:

Tasha said...

These books are fun, but I can't handle the drama. The last book I read that I couldn't put down was probably I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak, and that was a while ago.