Tuesday, January 27, 2009

In the Woods, Finale

I finished In the Woods over the weekend. I really enjoyed it. Throughout the book there were two different mysteries happening at the same time. I did figure out the present-day mystery before it was revealed in the end, but this didn't take away from the story. The other mystery remains open-ended, which I have to admit is a bit frustrating, but I respect the author's decision to leave it that way. Maybe she's leaving it to wrap up in another book, or maybe it's meant for the reader to think about how they feel it should be resolved. While I like books to be wrapped up, whether with a happy or sad ending, I think it takes a form of courage to leave things up in the air.

The book wasn't scary as one may expect a murder story to be, but it was suspenseful. And certain parts had me reading really fast to get to the resolution or the end of the scene. I loved the characters, I loved their thoughts. I also loved how In the Woods kind of overlapped with The Likeness. Having already read The Likeness, I knew what Cassie Maddox was doing at certain times of In the Woods. It reminded me of how the ending of Bourne Supremacy, the movie, was actually found again near the end of Bourne Ultimatum.

(R.I.P. John Updike.)

No comments: